Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Forged in FIYAH Anthology


I don’t always love anthologies. The tonal shifts can cause whiplash and I always prefer single author short story collections. But I was intrigued when I saw the Forged In FIYAH anthology on NetGalley because I had never read the magazine but I had heard lots of good things about it and knew it had been nominated for the Hugo Award several times (and won once). I was happy to get an eARC in exchange for an honest review. 


At first I really thought I didn’t like this book - the first several stories were not enjoyable, with too many uses of the n-word and too much drug use for my taste. There were also some protagonists I didn’t care for; in one story the protagonist entered someone’s mortuary smoking MJ with an unleashed dog, for example. But I kept reading and later stories in the book were excellent- there was a fascinating vampire story that I keep thinking about. All in all, an interesting read. 

No comments: