Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Army Building - Planet X Bird Drones

Unsurprisingly, I am an avid collector of Transformers toys. Where my taste varies from others is that perhaps my favorite kind of collecting is army building. There's nothing quite as satisfying to me as getting 2 or 5 or 10 of the same toy, maybe with a general to lead them. The trouble is, I can't bring myself to army build just anyone. No, there has to be an in-continuity reason to get multiples. Fortunately, there are no shortage of toys to choose from.

This week, Transformers: Cybertron's Planet X bird-drones. Packaged as Lazerbeak and sold with Soundwave, they were a bit pricey to collect given their size. Nevertheless, I'm quite fond of my Planet X bird drones.

For my general bird, I choose Soundblaster's Hell Buzzsaw. There's no really good in-continuity reason for this, but Hell Buzzsaw is a denizen of Planet X and we have no indication that there are multiples of him, so to my mind it more or less works. Note the Blockrocks and the various hexagonal weapons stacked up in the background.

A good episode to check out for bird-drone swarms is the episode Guardian, wherein they swarm out of a space bridge and prevent the Autobots from using it.

For further reading, see Army Building on the Transformers Wiki.

No comments: