Tuesday, September 24, 2013

G.I. Joe Field Manual Addendum - Cobra's Creatures

Howdy, y'all! I know it's been way too long since I've been back here. I've got a new son on the way--any day now!--and that's been taking up much of my time. Throw in a trip to the United Kingdom to visit my sister and participate in the incomparable Auto Assembly convention (wacky photos of which are up on Facebook, and if you're not my Facebook friend, what's holding you back?), and a dash of the three Transformers books that I've been working on and that adds up to a tremendously busy schedule.

(For the record, and it's shameless plug time, those books are:
   The Transformers 30th Anniversary Collection, out now, collecting representative stories from across the years and publishers and supplementing them with extra artwork and interviews.
   The Art of Prime, a gorgeous art book featuring the production artwork of Transformers Prime, without contest the best looking Transformers series ever, on sale in November.
   Legacy: The Box Art of The Transformers, due out in spring of 2014 after some delays to make sure we could get the format perfect.)

So, that's what I've been up to. I figured it's way past time for some more Joe models, so why not start with episode production number 600-01. Now, this isn't the first episode, even discounting the mini-series, but it seemed a decent place to start. Cobra's Creatures was a fun sci-fi romp that featured some cool animal models, pictured above.

Joe fans, please do let me know if you have requests. I've got so many incidentals, that if you've got a favorite episode, there's a good chance I'll have some cool material from it. Let me know in the comments and I'll do my best to make you happy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Sorenson, your garnering quite a career as an author of Transformers related books and I'm sure before your done it won't stop there. Congratulations and good luck to you on your new responsibilities as a Father.

jeff p said...

Welcome back and congratulations on all fronts.

Just a quick question regarding the G.I. Joe Field Manuals: I notice the inclusion of Jinx, Tunnel Rat, and other Joes introduced in GI Joe: The Movie, but a distinct lack of any mention of Cobra-La or characters such as Globulus or the Nemesis Enforcer. I was never a fan of that particular storyline but I am curious. What was the reason for their exclusion from your books?

Anonymous said...

My guess would be, as many model-sheets as he was able to find, he couldn't track down all of them. Of course it's also possible there wasn't enough room. Impressive collection just the same.

I'm sure their out there somewhere and will eventually resurface. Big-Lob still needs his close up after all.

Jimtron said...

Anonymous is correct. I had a bit on Cobra-La, but only enough for about one page. That was an awkward amount for the book, so I left it out. What I did have I used for an article for the Joe club magazine.

jeff p said...

Thanks, Jim. Yeah, I'm not surprised that no one wanted to keep those model sheets around. It was probably my third or fourth time through the second book before I even noticed they were missing.

drmick said...

Excellent news on the Legacy Boxart book!

It will be preordered on sight!

Matt said...

So the news about the boxart book is really cool. I'm a little late to the game in terms of your different books. Do you know if IDW is planning a new release of the Complete Ark at any point? I can't seem to find one for less than $$$$$$.

Jimtron said...

I don't know one way or the other on The Complete Ark. If it's something you'd like, be sure to let IDW know.

Drmick said...

Hi Jim,

Just listening to your interviews on RFC recently, it occurred to me that you have established yourself as the main Transformers reference author.

I had an idea for a Transformers book, along the lines of Where's Wally/Waldo or the recent Busters Lost Moshling book.

I can't be the only who would love big double page spreads filled with Transformers! The page count would be minimal, 24 pages or so, so I'm guessing main cost in terms of wage would be the commissioning of the art.

Do you think there could be a viable market for a book like that? I'm guessing there would be around the release of a movie.

Jimtron said...

Why don't you drop me an email, Drmick.