My first ever comics were Star Trek comics. I loved superheroes when I was a kid, of course, still do, but what I knew of them came from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and the Superfriends and the Super Powers action figures (which did have mini-comics, (as did He-Man figures, but I digress in this double paranthetical)). When I fell in love with Star Trek in 1988, I couldn’t get enough of it. So in addition to watching the show and reading the novels, I picked up Star Trek comics at a convention and eventually subscribed to get the TNG comic from DC in the mail.
Although I fell off reading Trek comics for a while, I recently have started reading more of the IDW Star Trek comics. I enjoyed Godshock and I LOVED Ryan North’s Lower Decks miniseries and his graphic novel Warp Your Own Way) and his two Shax/Lower Decks tie in issues. So when I got an eARC of the original series-era Red Shirts miniseries I went into it with an open mind and positive expectations.
Sadly, this book felt both boring and unnecessary. It didn’t say anything about Star Trek or being a disposable security officer that hasn’t been done much better elsewhere, and I didn’t appreciate the use of romulans at this point in the timeline. I also didn’t care for the art. Overall this is quite skippable.
No comments:
Post a Comment