Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Radiant Star by Ann Leckie


I loved Ann Leckie’s writing from the first time I read Ancillary Justice (which I have reread and listened to the audiobook of several times). I so enjoyed the Imperial Radch universe and adored each book in that trilogy. Provenance surprised me by being so different while still being in that universe and being so wonderful. And Translation State felt like a book of my heart - I loved it so much! So I was utterly delighted when Orbit and NetGalley gave me an eARC of Radiant Star in exchange for an honest review. 


I bounced off the first chapter the first two times I tried to read this book. But then I remembered how all of Ann Leckie’s prior books had a barrier to entry, and once I broke the meniscus I could dive right in and never look back. (Provenance is a particular example of this.) So I tried it again a few days later and I fell in love with the narrator - the pointed commentary and little asides felt like reading a book from the 1800s in the best possible way. This was a standalone book while also slightly advancing the storyline of the fracturing empire. I do hope that the next book gives us more insight into what is going on with that story, but that is not to denigrate this book at all. My one complaint about this book is the multitude of point of view characters made it hard for me to sink my teeth into the book - whenever I got invested in a person things shifted. But all in all I really enjoyed this. 

No comments: