Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Ravensong by TJ Klune



Ok, that’s it, I’m giving up on this series.


I was curious about this series before I started it. I really enjoyed the Extraordinaries trilogy by TJ Klune (although his strong pro- and anti- police stands in different volumes gave me whiplash), but I didn’t really vibe with Under the Whispering Door. I enjoyed the sentiments of House on a Cerulean Sea but felt the world building was weak in a way that took me out of the book.  But I still liked the author enough that I was full of anticipation when NetGalley and Tor gave me an eARC of Wolfsong and Ravensong, reprints of the first and second books of Klune’s Green Creek series in exchange for honest reviews.


Going in to that first book, I thought it was going to be more urban fantasy than paranormal romance. I was wrong. It was totally a paranormal romance, which was interesting because I don’t usually read in that subgenre. The first book was enjoyable but a slog - as I said I’m my review of that volume, there was like a novella’s worth of story here and the book was like 500+ pages.  I also didn’t like the age gap between the romantic leads.  


Sadly, this sequel was more of the same in the worst ways.  There felt like there was barely a short story’s worth of plot in Ravensong and it was so long and boring to get to it.  The characters are not interesting enough to spend time with and, once again, the main romantic relationship of this book also starts with an age gap with one of the parties below the age of consent.  It’s icky. I was bored and even the cliffhanger epilogue wasn’t enough to get me to pick up volume 3.


I’m not curious enough to try the next one - I’m tapping out here. 

No comments: