Saturday, September 5, 2026

Daggerbound by T. Kingfisher

 


In the past 5 years or so, I have become a HUGE fan of T. Kingfisher (a/k/a Ursula Vernon). 


Ms. Vernon is the author of the Hamster Princess books, which both of my daughters have enjoyed (as have I!). Those books were my introduction to her, along with her social media presence, which I found through Seanan McGuire. 


Ordinarily, I don’t like horror. I never wanted to watch scary movies as a kid. I got nightmares from E.T.  But based on recommendations I read the Twisted Ones and The Holllow Places and I realized that I loved Ms. Vernon’s writing and I could make it through the scary parts unscathed with her as my guide. 


I started devouring her back catalog and putting all new releases on hold at the library.  I have subscribed to her Patreon and I convinced my wife to read Nettle and Bone, which she loved (as did I). I even backed the kickstarter for the rerelease of Digger, which was wonderful.  Her Paladin books are my absolute favorites, but I also very much loved Swordheart, so I was thrilled when I found out her contract with Tor included not only reprinting Swordheart but also the two long promised sequels starring the other two people bound into swords. 


I was delighted when I got an audio eARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. 


This book was fabulous! I had reread Swordheart before listening to this book, but I hadn’t reread the Clocktaur War duology, so I didn’t remember every detail about Learned Edmund when he showed up in the first chapter but I quickly realized how much I loved him. And the Dervish was everything I hoped for! But my heart belongs to Large Francis, who does not eat human meat. The only thing I disliked about this book was that it had to end! Very satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment